Norton White Tile method: My Saga

Laser Art, 3D Prints, Woodworks, ANYTHING hand made! Show it off!
MacDoktor
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Norton White Tile method: My Saga

Post by MacDoktor »

Hopefully this will turn into a topic outlining my journey toward success...

I sprayed some tiles with a sloppy mix of denatured alcohol and TiO2 powder. Here is the first, untouched result:

Gas Ranges.png

It's rather blotchy due to an uneven coat but where it's black it's pretty black. I created the final image in Photoshop from a 1200DPI scan. I sized it to fit a tile 4.25" square at 318DPI and engraved it using Passthrough, 125mm/s @75%

Here's a closeup (click to see the fine detail):

Gas Ranges closeup.png

Blotchy, indeed. The edges of the letters are rough in the original. There are very thin, white horizontal lines between the thicker black lines. The focus was set perfectly and I made sure the image was 318DPI. Do I need to defocus a hair? Increase the engraving DPI slightly for some overlap? (the original image is large enough for some gymnastics) πŸ€”

The artwork is from an electric/gas company bill on a postcard dated 1952. Here is a copy you can play around with 8-)

Today's Gas Ranges @318.png

I used this TiO2 powder. I bought it specifically because it was in a container with a lid, which turned out to be a smart move: Earthborn Elements Titanium Dioxide

Now to get a better coat on the tiles. Constructive criticism desired. The absolutely perfect way to do this would be even better. I have an airbrush but no compressor, hmm... Hobby Investment Creep! ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacDoktor, KA4HJH β€” Roly LaserMATIC10 β€” 27" Late 2013 iMac with macOS 10.14 Mojave β€” LightBurn :ugeek:

Some of my Diode and HeNe laser collection is on my blog: Laser Stuff. The best of my brief love affair with solar photography is here: Sunspots!
RobinNC
Reactions:

Re: Norton White Tile method: My Saga

Post by RobinNC »

Love this! I use the same brand for the same reason!

Mix the TiO2 in small batches and make sure the first coat is smooth. Small batches because, for me, it's nearly impossible to get a smooth coat if the mix is over a couple of weeks old. I've also accidentally mixed it with regular isopropyl alcohol. I couldn't tell a difference in the burn.

I've also used a Mica dye powder with good results (brand matters on this one) for color.

I use a garden variety spray bottle :)
MacDoktor
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by MacDoktor »

RobinNC wrote: ↑Wed May 10, 2023 10:20 pmMix the TiO2 in small batches and make sure the first coat is smooth. Small batches because, for me, it's nearly impossible to get a smooth coat if the mix is over a couple of weeks old.
What is your formula? After watching a couple of videos I just made it up as I went along. I don't know if it was too much or too little but there was a lot of powder in it.
I've also used a Mica dye powder with good results (brand matters on this one) for color.
Tell me more about this mica dye powder. I've seen it for sale but I can't recall anyone mentioning it specifically. πŸ€”
I just grabbed a household cleanser-sized one out of the kitchen closet. I'm sure there's a better way but if this works... ;)
MacDoktor, KA4HJH β€” Roly LaserMATIC10 β€” 27" Late 2013 iMac with macOS 10.14 Mojave β€” LightBurn :ugeek:

Some of my Diode and HeNe laser collection is on my blog: Laser Stuff. The best of my brief love affair with solar photography is here: Sunspots!
RobinNC
Reactions:

Post by RobinNC »

Mix the TiO2 in small batches and make sure the first coat is smooth. Small batches because, for me, it's nearly impossible to get a smooth coat if the mix is over a couple of weeks old.
What is your formula? After watching a couple of videos I just made it up as I went along. I don't know if it was too much or too little but there was a lot of powder in it.

Trial and error lol. I eyeball it, but if I had to guess it would be 30% Ti02 /70% ethanol or isopropyl alcohol. There's a topic about it on LB with actual measurements. You'll have to scroll up past the post below for those:

LB topic for Ti02
Tell me more about this mica dye powder. I've seen it for sale but I can't recall anyone mentioning it specifically. πŸ€”

Littarby is the brand. I bought it from Amazon but cannot find it now. I googled it and found a few other sites that sell it.
Littarby Metallic Powder dye.jpg
Below are two pics I could find. Not the best examples but I'll take some pics and send them on. The second pic was a quick burn for the topic above. As you can see it takes quite a bit but is reusable. The dye is extremely fine and clogs a sprayer easily. I have taken a scientific approach called Mix and Pour. I mix it until it looks about right and pour it on a cleaned tile.

Don't mix it with the Ti02 though. At best you'll end up with a tinted black burn. I'll measure next time my laser decides to work.
For mama.png
0 lion.jpg
I just grabbed a household cleanser-sized one out of the kitchen closet. I'm sure there's a better way but if this works... ;)

That's exactly what I thought. As long as it works lol. I haven't tried pouring the ti02 on the tile. It's thicker and pickier than the Mica.

Hope this helps! AND I liked the ebay store from your blog!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacDoktor
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by MacDoktor »

Last night's experiments...

I discovered that I wasn't getting enough of the powder on the tiles. If I look towards a light on the ceiling and hold the tile at just the right angle I can plainly see shiny spots that were completely missed. I sprayed more of the sweet nectar onto the blank tiles until there was a matte finish everywhere. Here is the result:

Your Second Brain tile scan.png

Only a few speckles. I see some dirt on the scanner's glass. I burned another test grid and things look very promising. :D

One thing's for sure, it's a royal mess. And if I'm going to be doing a lot of tiles I need to come up with a coating that's scratch proof so I can store them. That concoction may take a while to dry.

RobinNC
Reactions:

Post by RobinNC »

It is most definitely a mess! That looks great!
ArtDesigns
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by ArtDesigns »

I built a shallow box to use to spray to mixture onto the tiles. Cut way down on the mess. My drying time is about 15 minutes as soon as the alcohol evaporates.
My Name is Art. Machines I use are: Atomstack P9 5.5 watt, Atomstack A10 Pro 10 watt. My main hobby is woodworking. I'm new to laser engraving.
wolfy1beer
Reactions:

Post by wolfy1beer »

ArtDesigns wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 8:08 pm I built a shallow box to use to spray to mixture onto the tiles. Cut way down on the mess. My drying time is about 15 minutes as soon as the alcohol evaporates.
I've been using this method for a few weeks now.
Yes it can be messy, but at least it's easier to clean up than paint & I've had great results on mugs etc.
I just spray on with a Β£2 misting bottle from Puondland & then blast for 10 maybe 15 seconds with the heat gun, works great for me :)

Bob
Hi All. I'm Bob & have been messing around with Lasers for a couple of years now. I have a Genmitsu LC-40 & an Ortur LM3 And now an Enjoywood E20 :roll: Even more to learn :-)
MacDoktor
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by MacDoktor »

The results of last night's festivities...

Here are scans of my latest creations. It took some trying but I finally got a heavy, even coat on the tiles with excellent results:

Gas Range Round Up scan.png

McDonald's scan.png

The full text is "Be McDonald's Guest For A Free McDonald's Double Hamburger". Unfortunately, the laser died partway through. This is from a postcard announcing the opening of the first McDonald's in Northern Virginia, Falls Church to be precise. I physically possess the original artwork for everything I've done so far. 8-)

I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong. It could have been one of the interlock switches but I'm not certain. It did start working again so I flipped the tile around and burned the unused area as a test.

I'll fool with it again tomorrow. Next up is adding a second color. :D

MacDoktor
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by MacDoktor »

Another day, another tile...

Cake Decorating scan.png

As with the others this is just a raw scan. Nothing has been done to increase the contrast. For the most part it looks slightly darker in real life.

It took me two days to clean up the art for this one and I'm still not satisfied. ;)

3-7 Day Fast Delivery to US from Banggood US Warehouse