K40 or larger?

This forum is for all C02 Laser topics
Tooter
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

K40 or larger?

Post by Tooter »

O.K., I realize I am probably the first person to use the diode for a bit then get curious about the CO2 world. I am ready but confused. The k40 seems small but the $ jump from 40 to 60 is huge so I am looking for advice. Can someone tell me, what is the largest piece of material you can place in the k40? I realize you cannot burn/cut the entire piece you place in the machine, but I am trying to see if it will serve most of what I am looking for. Also, has anyone ever figured out how to do a pass-through on them? Would you recommend upgrading to a 20Watt diode or jump to the Co2?

I really like the speed and power of the CO2 and that is my main concern. I have a client that is buying a product I make, and it takes 30 minutes of burn time, I figure with a CO2 I can cut that down to 12-15 minutes of burn time. I run the speed at 5000mm/min currently and think I can possibly run a CO2 at 25000mm/min.

I know this is a lot of rambling, but I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any information.
Hi, my name is Matt and I have a Lasermatic MK2 30 watt and I have been working with CNC Rotors and CNC lasers for about 3 years.
martinmarty
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Re: K40 or larger?

Post by martinmarty »

mss2260 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:26 pm O.K., I realize I am probably the first person to use the diode for a bit then get curious about the CO2 world.
:lol:
My name is Marty. Started this hobby Dec. 2022. Using Roly LaserMATIC10 with Lightburn on Windows.

Hobby Forums --> Start Here -- Everyone Please Read
MacDoktor
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by MacDoktor »

The K40 is pretty small at 200mm x 300mm (approximately 8" x 12"). The maximum practical power is somewhat less than 40W. You can drive it at 40W but you'll burn up a tube in no time.

Only a CO2 laser can cut clear and white acrylic. If you need to do that then it's your only option.
MacDoktor, KA4HJHRoly LaserMATIC10 — 27" Late 2013 iMac with macOS 10.14 Mojave — LightBurn :ugeek:

Some of my Diode and HeNe laser collection is on my blog: Laser Stuff. The best of my brief love affair with solar photography is here: Sunspots!
mrcreativesolutionsllc
Jr Member
Jr Member
Reactions:

Post by mrcreativesolutionsllc »

As Max said approx size is 8x12 but the cutting area is a bit smaller than that. I like the speed of the k40 but found that it wasn’t big enough to fit my needs. The diodes have an open frame that lets you work on larger items which is something I wish the k40 had. I don’t regret buying my diode and don’t regret buying the k40 either. However I’ll be upgrading to a co2 with a 20x28 bed.

So there are trade offs to consider.
Creality Falcon 10w diode
Monport K40 CO2
Monport 30w Fiber
Omtech 60w CO2
michvhf
Laser Master
Laser Master
Reactions:

Post by michvhf »

I'm also pondering the 20x28. I have an OMTech K40 and while it's faster, it's too small and with the time and money I've put into it, I wish I went for the larger one from the start.
Vince - aka Vinny aka Vince Nobucks
LightBurn, Omtech 40W CO2 (not the stock controller), Aufero with LaserTree 80 watt (10 optical) laser, 30 Watt MOPA from LasersOnly.
Twmaster
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by Twmaster »

I have both a K40 and a 100W 24x40 bed machine.

After using the K40 for a while I'd not buy another. Slow, no easy way to set focus, limited bed size. Now having said this. The K40 does work. It's just not as convenient or flexible as the larger machines.
Mongo
Lasers: Monport K40, Monport 100W just added a 20W Diode machine. Still wet behind the ears
3D printing: 2 Tiertime Up! Box+, Tiertime UP300. 5+ year veteran.
3-7 Day Fast Delivery to US from Banggood US Warehouse