Running multiple computers with Lightburn

The best laser software, period! All things Lightburn, including training.
Krateraid
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Running multiple computers with Lightburn

Post by Krateraid »

I would like to run 2-3 computers (wife , myself and the Laser, only the Laser computer actually connected to the Laser itself) and was wondering how i could ensure all the computers are running the same prefs/configs/etc so that i don't have conflicting setups. Xtool D1 Pro 20W USB connected to Win 10 Computer.
EDIT
A bit more info may help
I have 3 computers that i will be using
1) the Laser computer connected to the D1 Pro , used to RUN the files
2) my Wife's computer that she will be using to design and create the files then transfer (shared file folder on 1)
3) my computer that I will be using to design and create the file then transfer (shared file folder on 1)
Each of these computers are in different areas connected by wifi network
My question then is , is there anyway of ensuring all the computers are "synced" together as far as configuration , preferences , library's, etc
Does anyone else run this way and if so how do you do it?
My name is Krater. I use an X-Tool D1 Pro c/w RA2 Pro, 20W laser. I have just started (May 09/23) :lol:
TomG
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Re: Running multiple computers with Lightburn

Post by TomG »

I believe the lightburn software will allow you to use up to 2 computers using 1 license.
Once you have the laser connected to the other computers I would think all you would need to do is go into
C: users/user account that would be the first or main computer that has been using Lightburn/AppData/Local/Lightburn/ and copy the prefs file.
paste that file into the other lightburn folders in the same location of the other computer(s)and all preferences should be the same.
Make sure at least 1 computer still has xcs on so that you can get updates for the laser.
You never learn anything by doing it right
XTool d1Pro 20watt, extension,enclosure, Honeycombs, AlivePixelCreates Z Height Adjuster, Geeksatlarge Air Assist Kit
XTool F1,Slide Extension, Fume Extractor
No Longer N00bishly new, but I am always learning
Es171678
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by Es171678 »

I have one license and run the software on 3 computers, one desktop and two laptops. You have to e-mail Lightburn with your license number and ask to use on the additional computers. Three is the max number of computers I believe. They were very responsive to my request. I had to do this because I have my lasers in various locations at home.
Earl Shackelford
Ortur Laser Master 2 - (10W) and Ortur Laser Master 3
Lightburn Beginner
Experience 120 days.

Interest: Artist, Woodturner, Woodworker, and Laser Engraving.
Krateraid
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by Krateraid »

TomG wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:17 pm I believe the lightburn software will allow you to use up to 2 computers using 1 license.
Once you have the laser connected to the other computers I would think all you would need to do is go into
C: users/user account that would be the first or main computer that has been using Lightburn/AppData/Local/Lightburn/ and copy the prefs file.
paste that file into the other lightburn folders in the same location of the other computer(s)and all preferences should be the same.
Make sure at least 1 computer still has xcs on so that you can get updates for the laser.
Thank you for you reply, but please see my edited post to help explain my confusing original post :oops:
My name is Krater. I use an X-Tool D1 Pro c/w RA2 Pro, 20W laser. I have just started (May 09/23) :lol:
LAHobbyGuy
Laser Yoda
Laser Yoda
Reactions:
Your Specific Hobby: Laser Engraver

Post by LAHobbyGuy »

You can import and export all of your perfs from Lightburn. Click on the Devices button on the Laser Tab and select the laser. Click Export and save the file. Repeat the process on a 2nd computer but click Import instead. You can also import and export the device settings as well.
inspire.. create.. learn.. teach.. help someone today... Subscribe to my YouTube Channel, The Louisiana Hobby Guy!
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME OR EMAIL THE ADMIN! THIS FORUM WAS DESIGNED TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!
➡️ New Here? Main Forums --> Start Here --> Everyone Please Read
Krateraid
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by Krateraid »

LAHobbyGuy wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:04 pm You can import and export all of your perfs from Lightburn. Click on the Devices button on the Laser Tab and select the laser. Click Export and save the file. Repeat the process on a 2nd computer but click Import instead. You can also import and export the device settings as well.
Thank you!
this will be perfect for my shared file system, won't have to walk the settings to each machine :)
AceWickwire
Laser Master
Laser Master
Reactions:

Post by AceWickwire »

I have a desktop in my home office and a laptop in the shop connected to the laser. Since both are on the same wi-fi network I set up the desktop to share files with other computers on the network. I do design work in the office and the laser work in the shop using just the one file on the desktop. This work great for me. Rather than my old process of putting file on a USB stick and carrying out to the shop. A small draw back is that there is a time delay waiting for the laptop to connect to the desktop and then also saving on the desktop. But once the file is connected on the laptop I don't notice any issues in the performance of the laser. It burns the project just fine, I can make adjustments, etc. on the laptop without any issues.

This process prevents me from having multiple copies of the file and then trying to remember which one is the correct one. It did take me awhile to get this setup with the help of multiple YouTube videos. It does work once you break the code.

Hope this helps.
My name is Ken. I'm using an xTool D1 10w laser. Have been using the laser for a couple years now. Have been a woodworker for a number of years.
MacDoktor
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by MacDoktor »

You can also use cloud storage for file sharing. I'm not keen on "The Cloud" in general as I have huge archives and slow internet. I do have my calendars and notes synced across several devices and it really is useful.

Just a thought. 8-)
MacDoktor, KA4HJHRoly LaserMATIC10 — 27" Late 2013 iMac with macOS 10.14 Mojave — LightBurn :ugeek:

Some of my Diode and HeNe laser collection is on my blog: Laser Stuff. The best of my brief love affair with solar photography is here: Sunspots!
KnightRid
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Reactions:

Post by KnightRid »

You could share one folder that you keep all the lightburn settings and files in and use that on each one. As long as every computer is loading from the same directory for the settings then you can change anywhere and the others will be able to get them.

You could get a simple NAS also and use it for lightburn stuff and even making backups of all the computers :)
Hi my name is Mike and I use a Roly Automation LaserMATIC10 and a Creality Falcon 10w diode laser.
Hobby Forums --> Start Here -- Everyone Please Read
MacDoktor
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by MacDoktor »

Someone please send me a 24TB RAID5 NAS with NAS-rated HDDs. It will be greatly appreciated. :D
MacDoktor, KA4HJHRoly LaserMATIC10 — 27" Late 2013 iMac with macOS 10.14 Mojave — LightBurn :ugeek:

Some of my Diode and HeNe laser collection is on my blog: Laser Stuff. The best of my brief love affair with solar photography is here: Sunspots!
3-7 Day Fast Delivery to US from Banggood US Warehouse