*LASER SAFETY WARNINGS*

Discuss all things diode hobby lasers. Project settings, materials, hardware, tips & tricks, etc.
chipspeaking
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Re: *LASER SAFETY WARNINGS*

Post by chipspeaking »

Thanks for the valuable warnings.

Could you explain the difference between a CO2 laser engraving ceramic tile and a diode (5.5watts) etching? Etch engrave seems kind of nuanced.

And also thank you for the libraries of art, major time savers. If I come up with some decent ones I'll send you some of my art. Thanks a bunch!
LAHobbyGuy
Laser Yoda
Laser Yoda
Reactions:
Your Specific Hobby: Laser Engraver

Post by LAHobbyGuy »

Etching is removal of the top coating of the ceramic.
Engraving is with painted tiles, removing the paint only.

Rich
inspire.. create.. learn.. teach.. help someone today... Subscribe to my YouTube Channel, The Louisiana Hobby Guy!
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME OR EMAIL THE ADMIN! THIS FORUM WAS DESIGNED TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!
➡️ New Here? Main Forums --> Start Here --> Everyone Please Read
Giovanni
Jr Member
Jr Member
Reactions:

Post by Giovanni »

Thank you!
My name is Giovanni, I live in Lissone, close to Milan, Italy. Self-made laser engraver using an Arduino board. Working area 280x250 mm. Laser heads: Voidmicro optical power 4W, Ortur 5.5W optical and Ortur 10W optical.
Vcurcuru
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by Vcurcuru »

Thank you for this post!
Val Sculpfun S9 5.5watt laser Newbie!
BeckerCNC
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by BeckerCNC »

Rich which type laser safety glasses do you recommend for going over eyeglasses? I have bought two pairs from Amazon so far that I though would fit over my eyeglasses. However, they did not fit over my eyeglasses. I like to see what I am engraving.
jeffalc
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by jeffalc »

Thanks Rich,
I was just about to post a question about the very subject. Looking for an add on laser head for my Mill Right router and would like to have some acrylic material for a laser shield.
Jeff
Call me Jeff, generic 3018 5W chinese laser,
Looking for a 10W or higher to mount on my MillRight router,
LightBurn software. Just a rookie
dhellis
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by dhellis »

As someone that has recently suffered a mini-stroke and lost partial sight in my right eye, I would urge everyone to use
great care in protecting your vision. One never realizes what they have until they lose it.
Hello, my name is Dan, I closing in on 74 and do not yet own a laser etcher, I am interested in learning as
my son in-law is also thinking of getting one and I want to be able to help him when and where I can,
LAHobbyGuy
Laser Yoda
Laser Yoda
Reactions:
Your Specific Hobby: Laser Engraver

Post by LAHobbyGuy »

These are the glasses I use. Green & orange are the only 2 colors that protect against the 190-490nm Wavelength lasers and these fit over my glasses.

Rich
inspire.. create.. learn.. teach.. help someone today... Subscribe to my YouTube Channel, The Louisiana Hobby Guy!
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME OR EMAIL THE ADMIN! THIS FORUM WAS DESIGNED TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!
➡️ New Here? Main Forums --> Start Here --> Everyone Please Read
Amundo1
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by Amundo1 »

thank you for all you have done. you must hear this 100 times a day. i retired 10 years ago and purchased a carvewright machine. it was fun but im going to donate it to my brothers daughter in law. I make rustic furniture with the old barn wood as one of my hobbies. my new ortur is my present hobby. the carvewright programs are in right field in comparison. thanks for making it a lot easier.
rick, xtool, d pro 40, have to start over due to set backs.
jeffalc
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by jeffalc »

Thanks again Rich for all the information,
I'm not concerned a bit with the smoke because my shop is set up as a welding shop with exhaust venting for that and my plasma CNC, but I am curious if any of my welding shields would be appropriate visible shielding for laser light. I haven't tried any of them though I have some very high tech welding hoods and a bunch of plain #5, #6 etc. lenses for gas welding. What is the difference between laser light and plasma arc or welding arc? I did purchase the glasses that you recommended because I do value my eyesight but am curious.
Thanks,
Jeff
Call me Jeff, generic 3018 5W chinese laser,
Looking for a 10W or higher to mount on my MillRight router,
LightBurn software. Just a rookie
3-7 Day Fast Delivery to US from Banggood US Warehouse