Paint for engraving glass

Discuss all things diode hobby lasers. Project settings, materials, hardware, tips & tricks, etc.
Tommyk
Laser Master
Laser Master
Reactions:

Paint for engraving glass

Post by Tommyk »

I have an Ortur LM2Pro S2 LU2-4-SF using Lightburn 1.1.04
I have a list of paint with the percentages of titanium dioxide in them. I've searched Amazon,Hope Depot and Walmart and can not find any of the paint listed on my list. Most of the paint listed are Rust-Oleum products and they have way too many different types of paint for my old 78 year old brain!
Can I use just any type of white paint or does ir really have to be one with a high titanium dioxide content?
Thanks,,,
Tom
Ortur LM2Pro LU2-4SF
At age 78 and being a computer vegetable I never even dreamed I could run a laser engraver.
With the help I get from Rich and all the great people here I'm moving right along!
Thanks,,,
Tom
DrPete
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Re: Paint for engraving glass

Post by DrPete »

I use black tempera paint, Walmart has it for $1.98 for 16oz container.

Quick note, I use my laser to make tooling in the shop and needed just yesterday some circles on a glass plate for inspection pictures.
I painted this on a 2 1/2" square piece of plate glass with a Q-tip just swirling it around across the glass.
Looked kinda greenish not black. Very light coat you could see through the glass everywhere and not even.
Dried it quickly with my industrial hair dryer and printed 16 circles (etched) in less than 1 minute. ( I was in a hurry :mrgreen: )
I used my 10 watt diode set at 40% power and 1000mm/min.
Here is a picture, again this was just for tooling to mark out circles.
It's water soluble so clean up is easy.
8mm overlay blank.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worked making lasers over 40 years ago, still learning!
I make the optics and apply the optical coatings to the lenses.
LAHobbyGuy
Laser Yoda
Laser Yoda
Reactions:
Your Specific Hobby: Laser Engraver

Post by LAHobbyGuy »

Black Tempera paint is the best product to use. And it's cheap.

Rich
inspire.. create.. learn.. teach.. help someone today... Subscribe to my YouTube Channel, The Louisiana Hobby Guy!
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME OR EMAIL THE ADMIN! THIS FORUM WAS DESIGNED TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!
➡️ New Here? Main Forums --> Start Here --> Everyone Please Read
rebeltaz
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by rebeltaz »

Tommyk wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:20 pm I have an Ortur LM2Pro S2 LU2-4-SF using Lightburn 1.1.04
I have a list of paint with the percentages of titanium dioxide in them. I've searched Amazon,Hope Depot and Walmart and can not find any of the paint listed on my list. Most of the paint listed are Rust-Oleum products and they have way too many different types of paint for my old 78 year old brain!
Can I use just any type of white paint or does ir really have to be one with a high titanium dioxide content?
Thanks,,,
Tom
I think the titanium dioxide recommendation is more for ceramic tile and gives a black engraving result.
The name is RebelTaz. Been building and using 3d printers and cnc machines for years, but new to laser cutters/engravers. Thanks for having me!
---
Laser: Atomstack A5 Pro based befon 5.5 watt -and- Ortur LaserMaster 2 5.5 watt -and- Atomstack m100 based EnjoyWood E20 20 watt 3D Printers: Tevo Tarantula -and- Elegoo Mars 2 -and- Halot Lite CNC: generic 2418 Vinyl Cutter: modified Cricut Cake
dkj4linux
Reactions:

Post by dkj4linux »

The NWT method works on glass as well as ceramic tile. This Krylon ColorMaxx flat-white paint+primer I'm using now is available at both my local Lowes and Walmart.
20220420_112704.jpg
20220430_002752.jpg
Here Krylon ColorMaxx flat-white paint+primer was used on a piece of scrap window glass, lasered, and then completely removed with acetone.
20220501_194836 (1).jpg
20220501_195428 (1).jpg
I've not tried the tempera paint method yet... but will! Thanks!

-- David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rebeltaz
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by rebeltaz »

Ah... so the NWT method leaves a black image while the tempera paint leaves a white frosted image. Interesting.
The name is RebelTaz. Been building and using 3d printers and cnc machines for years, but new to laser cutters/engravers. Thanks for having me!
---
Laser: Atomstack A5 Pro based befon 5.5 watt -and- Ortur LaserMaster 2 5.5 watt -and- Atomstack m100 based EnjoyWood E20 20 watt 3D Printers: Tevo Tarantula -and- Elegoo Mars 2 -and- Halot Lite CNC: generic 2418 Vinyl Cutter: modified Cricut Cake
Vince M
Reactions:

Post by Vince M »

I have been using the cold galvanizing paint from rust oleum. I went to Home Depot and Lowe’s to pick up another can and it is suspiciously unavailable. Must be some environmental thing. My problem with using the tempera paint is that it’s hard to get an even coat on the glass.I’ve seen where someone was using a airbrush to apply the tempura but that sounds like a real PITA. I’m just hoping I can find another can of cold galvanizing paint.
Tommyk
Laser Master
Laser Master
Reactions:

Post by Tommyk »

Thanks dkj!
I'll start online shopping for a can or 2 of the paint right now!
Ortur LM2Pro LU2-4SF
At age 78 and being a computer vegetable I never even dreamed I could run a laser engraver.
With the help I get from Rich and all the great people here I'm moving right along!
Thanks,,,
Tom
dkj4linux
Reactions:

Post by dkj4linux »

DrPete wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:00 pm I use black tempera paint, Walmart has it for $1.98 for 16oz container.

Quick note, I use my laser to make tooling in the shop and needed just yesterday some circles on a glass plate for inspection pictures.
I painted this on a 2 1/2" square piece of plate glass with a Q-tip just swirling it around across the glass.
Looked kinda greenish not black. Very light coat you could see through the glass everywhere and not even.
Dried it quickly with my industrial hair dryer and printed 16 circles (etched) in less than 1 minute. ( I was in a hurry :mrgreen: )
I used my 10 watt diode set at 40% power and 1000mm/min.
Here is a picture, again this was just for tooling to mark out circles.
It's water soluble so clean up is easy.
8mm overlay blank.png
Not really knowing what to expect and taking no particular pains to be neat, I followed DrPete's tempera paint instructions as best I could. I quickly brushed Walmart black tempera paint on a not-so-clean piece of broken window pane and lasered an image with the same little Eleksmaker 2.3W diode laser I use for the NWT ceramic tiles. To say I'm pleasantly surprised with the result would be an understatement...
20220512_182710.jpg
20220512_184618.jpg
20220512_184606.jpg
To adjust for my lesser-powered laser (compared to DrPete's 10W laser) I used 1000 mm/min and 90% power... and got a genuinely frosted/etched image on the glass on my first attempt. Given the brush strokes in the paint were so inconsistent and streaky, I was surprised the etched surface still shows a relatively nice opaque image. Since a few lines and streaks can be seen to coincide with some of the inconsistencies in the painted surface. I suspect a more uniform painted surface would yield a better result. Anyway, I'm encouraged with the attempt and feel it warrants a bit more playing, especially with trying to get a more uniform painted surface?

In summary... with the same laser, same glass, same image, but different paint...

flat-WHITE spray paint yields a DARK embossed image... BLACK tempera paint yields LIGHT frosted/etched image
20220512_203955.jpg
How weird! Thoughts?

-- David
Tommyk
Laser Master
Laser Master
Reactions:

Post by Tommyk »

Thanks everyone!
I ordered some White spray paint,,,Rust-Oleum Painters Touch 2x Satin Blossom White as the chart I have says it has 10-25% Titanium Dioxide in it.
I will but some Tempra paint the next time I'm near a Walmart and try both!
Ortur LM2Pro LU2-4SF
Thanks,,,
Tom
3-7 Day Fast Delivery to US from Banggood US Warehouse