Which laser would you buy?

I have decided to do a series of Laser & Laser Related Product Reviews. I will post them here as I publish them on YouTube.
PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW TOPICS HERE UNLESS YOU'RE REVIEWING A PRODUCT
sleepyvr4
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Re: Which laser would you buy?

Post by sleepyvr4 »

Mike, I went with the Ortur LM3 was able to get it just under 600
I am new as new gets with laser but I have been super happy with it so far.
Just got everything up and run, just did my first burn minutes ago.
Best I can say is do the best research you can do and roll the dice.
Good Luck
Hello I am Adam. I am using OLM3 completely stock at this time, with Lightburn. Been at this for about a minute, really.
AnalogKid
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by AnalogKid »

I was checking into these for a little over a month before I pulled the trigger on the OLM3. It seems ever one that came out was better than the previous ones, and it seemed like this was happening ever week. I've had it for a little over 2 weeks now (Light burn tells me I have 13 more days of Trial)

So far I am really happy with it. Works as expected. A little over the OPs budget though

I got mine for a little less than $700 and this included their cutting bed. If I would have gotten it without the Ortur cutting bed, it would have been $20 more.
Nice enough bed (It is a quality piece of kit) , but it is aluminum so no magnets for me. Also it is not a honeycomb, so no pins either. So far I am cutting thinner ply and balsa (1/16"/2mm) so I have to tape everything down really well.
Just something to be aware of of you are looking at their cutting bed.

Will be looking at getting a honeycomb bed in the future... Anyone want a slightly uses Ortur cutting bed for a great price? ;-)
Dave
New to Lasers - Ortur LM3 (Sept 2022)
Long time 3D printer (FDM, and Resin)
Home designed and built CNC router.
Design with Fusion360, Inkscape
R/C planes, Astronomy, N-Scale Model RR.
microcarl
Jr Member
Jr Member
Reactions:

Post by microcarl »

Well, I had two SainSmart Genmitsu Proover 3018 machines that I converted over to laser. I pulled the "Y" axis out of one and made a cable to adapt the XTOOL RA2 Pro Chuck style rotory tool to so I could engrave Stainless Steel tumblers. The other 3018 I use to engrave ceramic tile and Stainless Steel flasks.

This past May, I purchased an early model XTOOL D1, 10 watt laser machine. That thing was more trouble than it was worth, which was nearly $850.00. I ended up converting the control over to an OpenBuilds "BlackBox" control an OpenBuilds "INTERFACE" remote pendant... and a Laser Tree LT-80-AA 10 watt laser. Now the machine runs very reliable, accurate and very fast.

However, when it comes to the XTOOL D1 and knowing what I know now, rather then purchasing the Genmitsu LC-40 last and had I know that they would become available only two weeks after I purchased the XTOOL D1, I could have purchased 3 LC40 machines for what it cost for the XTOOL D1 and the cost of upgrading the control and laser laser to make the machine what the LC-40 is.

So my recommendation is this, if you have the $1,500.00 to $1,800.00 in your budget for an XTOOL D! PRO 10 watt, just get 3 Genmitsu LC-40 10 watt laser machines at $550.00 and do some real serious work!

If you think I'm exaggerating, see lalsaserguy's review.
Carl W. Livingston
thad1914
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by thad1914 »

Before I read anything on this forum : I purchased the ATOM STaCK S10 Pro same as the A10 and I think the X7 : So far so good. The projects I have completed have taken some tweaking because I am still trying to understand power and speed. BUT I think an air assist would have been helpful. a lot of smoke build up with nowhere to go. Assuming i will be cleaning the lens sooner then later. Only a few weeks in but i can see this working out. Using Lightburn
CraftsFromMyShed
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by CraftsFromMyShed »

My first purchase was the absolute cheapest laser I could find. AtomStack P9 M30 $200-. Why you ask. I didn't want to spend $1000 bucks on a device to learn on. I figure if I can get decent results with a piece of junk I could get great results when I upgrade.
If I had your budget Id consider a mid range AtomStack. That said I found the support isn't there.
Bill the carpenter.
Currant machine is Atomstack P9 M30
Purchasing ATEZR P20 PLUS soon.
MacDoktor
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by MacDoktor »

CraftsFromMyShed wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:12 pmIf I had your budget Id consider a mid range AtomStack. That said I found the support isn't there.
Roly has been stellar in this way. Fortunately, this forum is free but sometimes you need to kick a problem upstairs. It's hard to put a price on intangibles like this but it has to be a consideration. I've heard horror stories. :shock:

Ask yourself, what is the TCO (total cost of ownership) for an inexpensive machine? That encompasses your entire budget and things will nickel and dime their way into it. You need must have a decent pair of safety goggles. $40. Want to go with LightBurn? (a good idea). Another $60.

Air assist is highly desirable. You'll achieve better results immediately. An aquarium pump and a piece of brake line seems to be a popular DIY approach. A "better" pump can be $100. A laser head with the nozzle protecting the lens may not be available in your price range.

Once again, the question is what else do you really need? I leave it to others to weigh in on the specifics. In this price range it can be a real crapshoot. I bought the LaserMATIC months before I intended to buy anything and it was a squeeze on the old bank account. With LightBurn, another pair of safety glasses and sales tax the total was about $1150.  :lol:
MacDoktor, KA4HJHRoly LaserMATIC10 — 27" Late 2013 iMac with macOS 10.14 Mojave — LightBurn :ugeek:

Some of my Diode and HeNe laser collection is on my blog: Laser Stuff. The best of my brief love affair with solar photography is here: Sunspots!
Wkrnpz
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by Wkrnpz »

I have the Fox Alien 20 w laser and so far I like it. I am new to this and do not know what I am doing exactly.But i have cut some project pannels with it which seem to cut better than the boards from Hobby Lobby that they do not sell anymore.
Ann Perz Fox Alien 20w noob Decorative Painter
ggregg13
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by ggregg13 »

hi Greg here, im looking at the roly lasermatic10w 1080 cdn on amazon.com that includes the rotary tool and air assist. here in canada you get digig custom fee exchange rate.l saw your youtube video on it, im inpressed also your interview with the owner, which one to buy you can get atonstack a20 for another 120 cdn more
hi my name is Greg i from canada
joejones
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by joejones »

microcarl wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:19 pm I make a lot of purchases thru Amazon Smiles.

The reason???

There is an organization that I've selected that Amazon donates a percentage of my purchases to.

Its an easy way to help a cause I believe in, and do it anominously.
Amazon SMILE stopped the linked donation program. I used to donate money to Bicycle Angels, a charity organization in California that loans high quality road bicycles to people who want to ride in fundraiser events. Amazon SMILE has STOPPED the ability to donate to Bicycle Angels and other charities a few months ago.

Joe
Old guy with too much time on his hands.
I was bitten by the laser bug last year.
The Dr. says it is terminal. :?
Now my PlasmaCAM tables rust like the Titanic!
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4) w/ 20W,40W and 2W-IR heads and accessories, etc.
X-TOOL F1, S1 (x3), P2
LaserPecker 1 PRO, LP-2, LP-4 and accs.
50 Watt GALVO fiber laser
CreatBot D 600 PRO 3D printer
I need help!
moonshinerunner
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by moonshinerunner »

I bought an ORTUR Master 3 LE.
Back on the 15th of January, 2023 and I still do not have a working laser.
It took months to come from China to Australia, and it would not cut the cardboard.
So I wrote to them, and tech sent me a program to video and test the laser, which I did.
The laser doesn't cut or even burn unless at 60mm and 100%.
So tech said they would send a new laser, and yesterday I received in the mail a second-hand laser. Packed very well but dented and scratched from being put into and removed from the moving cradle.
Tested again with ORTUR special test, and it does not work.
So, nearly five months later, I do not have a working laser. I can supply videos and photos to prove what I am saying.
I would not recommend ORTUR to anyone.

Please see my story below with the timeline.
ORTUR Laser Master 3 LE
I ordered on January 15 2023, and paid in full from the ORTUR website, https://sinismall.com/
Order #2027
17/01/2023
Then on January 17, I received an email saying my order was on its way.
The tracking number supplied when I looked it showed no such parcel or booking (DHL), so I emailed DHL, and they replied telling me to contact the sender as no booking is on record for picking up a parcel. So then I emailed the person from the first email asking them about my parcel and informed them that my parcel was not sent or even booked for pick-up.
Then Sinismall replied with a different company's tracking number. (ARAMX) So I followed the link provided and showed that a pick-up was booked that matched the new tracking number supplied.
20/02/2023
Then on January 20, I received another email from Sinismall stating a different tracking number but again with ARAMEX. (34702605066)
14/02/2023
Then on February 14, I received an email from Sinismall saying my parcel had been delivered.
Which it had not been delivered.
So I emailed back again, informing them it had not been delivered and asked for proof of delivery. In Australia any big parcel delivered to an address, the couriers take a photo showing where they left the parcel if no one is at home. (My wife was at home all day on this pretend delivery date.
30/03/2023
This went back and forth until March 30, 2023, when it was finally left at my address. (Again, my wife was home, and the courier did not knock or ring the doorbell)
24/04/2023
I was away for work for the next couple of weeks, so when I got home on April 24, I set the ORTUR LE3 up and tried to do some Material Tests in Light Burn.
The Laser would not cut 2mm cardboard unless running at 100% and the slowest speed of 60mm. At all other speeds, it just burnt or showed no sign of a laser on the material.
I took photos and emailed customer service again. They replied and said to do the test again but use plywood as it could be the cardboard I used.
I followed the directions and used 3mm plywood, and it just burnt a little on 100% at the slowest speed, and then basically nothing. So I forwarded photos of the plywood and the sticker that is attached to one corner of the plywood. This showed the thickness etc for them to see. So I emailed the photos.
25/04/2023
Then on April 25, they replied, saying it was now forwarded to ORTUR Tech. (don't put ticket links in your post)
Then I received an email from the Tech saying my lens was dirty and I was to remove it and clean it. They attached a youtube link that had a video on how to do this correctly. They further asked for some photos of the cut once the lens had been cleaned.
I followed the Tech instructions and then attempted another material test, and again the same results. I then forwarded the results to the TECH along with the new photos.
Then the Tech emailed back and asked me to remove the lens again, and I quote, "as it is broken", which is why it will not cut, following these instructions.
I took photos of the lens, which shows it is not cracked or broken and sent these to the Tech.
Then the Tech forwarded me instructions on the special ORTUR material test he wanted to be done, and this time I had to film the Laser from turning on to the finish. The Tech provided the special ORTUR material test, which takes less than 2 minutes. They asked for a close-up of the Laser when working and sound so they could see for themselves.
I followed the instructions and filmed the computer showing Lightburn open and the unique material test that they attached and filmed the whole test and then held up the plywood showing how thick it is, and the Laser had not even cut through it.
The Tech also wanted clear photos of the material test and the serial number on my Laser, which I supplied.
I received an email from the TECH saying a problem had been found, and I was to fill out the form on the attached link (don't put ticket links in your post) and a new laser would be sent (don't put ticket links in your post) which I filled out and submitted as requested. On this site, it said I would receive an email once sent from ORTUR.
27/04/2023
On April 27, I emailed again as I had not received an email stating a replacement had been sent.
30/04/2023
I received the message from the customer service agent, My case was closed on their website, 246747.
01/5/2023
Then again, on May 1, I emailed again, as still no email saying the replacement laser had been sent.
09/05/2023
Today is May 9 2023, nearly four months later, and I still do not have a working ORTUR laser.
I have not had a reply from Sinismall or ORTUR since April 30. See below.

Agent Reply
April 30, 2023 2:46 pm
Greetings
Your details were forwarded Forwarded to Ortur
Please keep an eye on your spam folder in the next days for an answer from Fulfillment (Mikasa) for shipping and part confirmation. (specially the spam folder).
Responding to this email is mandatory to initiate shipping.
Aditionally this ticket will auto close as the data is forwarded and passed to a different department

Gil Araújo
Ortur Support Admin
Facebook Messenger

Today the 31/05/2023
A secondhand laser has been delivered. Yes, secondhand.
It was packed very well, with foam all around the box. The silver plastic was already opened.
I looked at the Laser and noticed it was already scratched when you hold it in the carrier. Then I noticed that it was dented and touching the fan also.
So I rerun the special test that the Tech from ORTUR sent, and the secondhand Laser does not work.
So now another month is gone, and still no working Laser.

Cases opened and closed with ORTUR.
New Laser does not work still (#253613) May 31, 2023 6:44 am Technical Support Ortur Laser Master 3 LE LU2-10
In Progress spam (#248393) May 1, 2023 2:24 am Returns & Replacements Ortur Laser Master 3 LE LU1-2
Closed Laser does not work (#246747) April 24, 2023 4:16 am Returns & Replacements Ortur Laser Master 3 LE LU2-10

(ADMIN edited for unnecessary links)
Good morning, my name is Sol, I have an Ortur laser master 3LE 10w, I have only just purchased this and waiting on delivery. After watching your youtube I have to try this myself.
3-7 Day Fast Delivery to US from Banggood US Warehouse