Diode Hobby Laser Etching & Cutting Warning!

Discuss all things diode hobby lasers. Project settings, materials, hardware, tips & tricks, etc.
dparton01
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Re: Diode Hobby Laser Etching & Cutting Warning!

Post by dparton01 »

Thank you for this list! I was aware of most of the ones we should not cut, but not why. I appreciate your work!
Dottie Parton Xtool D1 10w, 20w, IR Newbie (6mos)
keyss22
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by keyss22 »

Thanks for the heads up!
Walt
Lancewoodworking
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by Lancewoodworking »

Thank you for the list. After reading everything posted here the two biggest takeaways: 1 DONT CUT PVC! 2 HAVE GOOD VENTALATION! Thanks again for the list.
Ohiokiwi
Jr Member
Jr Member
Reactions:

Post by Ohiokiwi »

NoMercy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:00 am Hello Im new here,
Material with Sticky Glue Backing Coats lens, cracks lens
is it still a problem when you use air assist.
The air essist creates a overpressure in the nozzle i believe

(hope my english is good enough, im from the Netherlands ;-))
It can be a problem on some Diode Laser Etchers because not all lasers use an efficient air assist nozzle around the laser. One particular model, the Ortur LM3's air assist can actually draw smoke and fumes to the lens. I am guessing this can be a problem with other Diode Lasers too.

Your english is good. :)

I'm less than a noob, my information comes from a lot of reading, watching tool reviews from people I consider "know their stuff" like Rich F. I do not own a laser, yet, but am doing all this research before I buy. My background is 40 years of Automotive Engineering.
My name is Shane. I am the proud owner of an Ortur LM3. My main hobby is Woodworking and for the winter laser engraving/cutting.
Ohiokiwi
Jr Member
Jr Member
Reactions:

Post by Ohiokiwi »

joejones wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:14 am The stringy smoke ... is it still a problem with lasers that have the air assist? After all, there is a positive air flow blowing anything AWAY from the lens during the entire cutting process.

Joe
Hi Joe, even with air assist, stringy smoke can be a problem. Unless the air is directed down around the laser beam with some sort of small nozzle air, smoke and fumes can be drawn back up around the lens. The Ortur with it's large square light protection lens on bottom of the laser head and the way the air assist nozzle terminates around the laser focusing lens can actually draw these particulates back up to the lens.

I'm less than a noob. I believe my research, reading and viewing videos from reliable sources, and a 40 year background in Automotive Engineering qualifys me to comment. I am yet to purchase a Laser Etcher.
My name is Shane. I am the proud owner of an Ortur LM3. My main hobby is Woodworking and for the winter laser engraving/cutting.
Ohiokiwi
Jr Member
Jr Member
Reactions:

Post by Ohiokiwi »

burnoutz,

Corian is 1/3 acrylic, so I guess the information regarding acrylic in this thread should be heeded. Not sure what the assorted stone dust will do when burned with a laser.

Shane
Barr
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by Barr »

Thanks for this very important information, I'm so glad I found you Rich.
This type of info should be in BIG BOLD LETTERS on all diode lasers that are sold.
ramwood
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by ramwood »

I am new to laser cutting and got a diode s9 cutter to making lips for my fishing lures but saw this and wanted to know if it is safe to cut 1/8 inch thick Poly and etch a logo on the material I use this material because it is the most break resistant material that is clear and strong
thank you
Bob
ramwood
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by ramwood »

Is there a material that is strong like poly that doesnt break easily that can be cut up to 1/8" thick
I was looking into getting some Acrylite Resist 65 High Impact Acrylic but wanted to make sure it wouldnt cause problems for my laser
thank you
ekim
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by ekim »

Newbe, first time here. Very nice forum. Extremely good info for me as a beginner. Thank you very much.
3-7 Day Fast Delivery to US from Banggood US Warehouse