Diode Hobby Laser Etching & Cutting Warning!

Discuss all things diode hobby lasers. Project settings, materials, hardware, tips & tricks, etc.
Minion
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Re: N30820 diode laser

Post by Minion »

nabors wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:38 am
Minion wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:33 am I I'm new and got a n30820 laser its a 20w laser and 5.5w optic output. The site says I can cut 3mm in 1 pass but I'm doing 13 passes at 10mm/min and it doesn't always cut through. And my box joints are not tight. Am I missing something?
My first guess would be that it's not focused yet.
I do a slope test, and i that hit set to the ideal spot
parsec
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Re: Diode Hobby Laser Etching & Cutting Warning!

Post by parsec »

Till now a 5 seconds google/wiki search gives the composition of all materials.
Also search for laser safe materials.

Fernando
MAIN HOBBY: The HO :idea:. Laser: 10W diode.
3D Printer: Resin and filament. CNC: A4.
"→ To boldly go where no laser →☼ has gone before ∞"
robbo141
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by robbo141 »

AnalogKid wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:35 pm
robbo141 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:12 pm Does anyone have experience cutting corrugated plastic sheet? .... I’ll drop a line to the supplier also.

Robbo
Not 100% sure, but I think it may be a type of PVC. Years ago I used to buy this stuff by the 8'x4" sheet and make R/C airplane kits to sell. I used jigs I made and did the majority of cutting on a band saw. Sure did smell like PVC if I fed it too fast when cutting on the band saw.
Thanks Dave. Useless supplier says it’s paper but 100% plastic. If there’s even a chance it’s a form of PVC I’m steering clear. Chlorine gas not welcome here.

Robbo
X-tool D1, rotary tool pro, absolutely zero experience as of now.
plugr
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by plugr »

First post read and contains GREAT information
NoMercy
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by NoMercy »

LAHobbyGuy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:52 pm No, to engrave, if it has the brown paper on it, I leave it on. For dark opaque colors, you don't need to do anything else. For clear or tinted acrylic, I usually put down a sheet of aluminum foil under the piece. You can use black tempera paint if you want. It washes off with plain water. Remember to always mirror the image so that the clean side displays properly.

To cut, with a diode laser you're limited to very dark, opaque colors only. The rest will just melt.

Rich
But will it cut when you use Tempera or black paint on the clear acrylics. ?
Regards
Edwin
LAHobbyGuy
Laser Yoda
Laser Yoda
Reactions:
Your Specific Hobby: Laser Engraver

Post by LAHobbyGuy »

NoMercy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:04 pm But will it cut when you use Tempera or black paint on the clear acrylics. ?
No
inspire.. create.. learn.. teach.. help someone today... Subscribe to my YouTube Channel, The Louisiana Hobby Guy!
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME OR EMAIL THE ADMIN! THIS FORUM WAS DESIGNED TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!
➡️ New Here? Main Forums --> Start Here --> Everyone Please Read
annu84
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by annu84 »

Hi , i've just got my 1st laser machine ( Atomstack X7 Pro 50W ) and need your expertise please.
Is it safe to cut PU FOAM ? I know PolyStyrene Foam is flammable , any idea or tips for cutting PU FOAM.

Thanks in advance .Appreciate you taking the time to read this - means a lot.
~ anu
lcharlot65
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by lcharlot65 »

You can't cut epoxy, but can you etch colored epoxy? like a name in a knife handle? I will have a 10w Otur in tomorrow.

Thanks
WoodI
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by WoodI »

Any experience with Formica? Say they---typically made with paper or fabric combined with a melamine resin.
Thanks, Mike or (WoodI)
Atomstack X20 + R30. General home user, fun only. Adds to gifts for others. Thank you.
cpatenall
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by cpatenall »

Hi from Wales - new forum member (after some weeks of watching the videos on YouTube, thanks for all the effort!)
Have been considering cutting paper-backed wood veneers with my Neje E40 module but I suspect the glue will cause all the problems you mention above. Looks like time for a Plan B... but does air-assist work effectively in clearing the sticky fumes from the lens area? (provided I remember to turn it on, of course)
Neje 2s Plus frame with Neje E40 module.
Inkscape and Lightburn on Windows 10/11
Anycubic 3d printer and Vevor 3018 CNC
3-7 Day Fast Delivery to US from Banggood US Warehouse