Diode Hobby Laser Etching & Cutting Warning!

Discuss all things diode hobby lasers. Project settings, materials, hardware, tips & tricks, etc.
Demmonsvt
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Re: Diode Hobby Laser Etching & Cutting Warning!

Post by Demmonsvt »

Newbie here. Thank you so much for posting this.
Kenith
Jr Member
Jr Member
Reactions:

Post by Kenith »

How about engraving Corian?
SamSPW
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by SamSPW »

What if I'm using air assist, do these warnings still apply?
LAHobbyGuy
Laser Yoda
Laser Yoda
Reactions:
Your Specific Hobby: Laser Engraver

Post by LAHobbyGuy »

SamSPW wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:26 pm What if I'm using air assist, do these warnings still apply?
Of course.
inspire.. create.. learn.. teach.. help someone today... Subscribe to my YouTube Channel, The Louisiana Hobby Guy!
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME OR EMAIL THE ADMIN! THIS FORUM WAS DESIGNED TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!
➡️ New Here? Main Forums --> Start Here --> Everyone Please Read
nabors
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by nabors »

SamSPW wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:26 pm What if I'm using air assist, do these warnings still apply?
Yes. Even if you have a sealed enclosure that events to the outside, or goes through an air scrubber. Some of these materials could damage your laser or the frame simply from the vaporized materials.
My name is Ben. I own a Fokoos FE20 5W diode, which is finally working after quite a bit of part wrangling! I do also have the Odin 5 3d printer from the same company. As of this writing, I am using lightburn version 1.1.04 on Windows 10 pro.
vur1999
Jr Member
Jr Member
Reactions:

Post by vur1999 »

Material Hazards.pdf
I saved the list to a PDF for printing.
Welcome to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne R., cancelled XTOOL D1 Pro w/ RA2 due to problems with Company, still shopping for laser. Skill Level 2 of 4
dvc
Jr Member
Jr Member
Reactions:

Post by dvc »

RE: Material with Sticky Glue Backing

... would this include (as shown on many video tutorials) masking tape? What about about paper with a light spay of repositionable adhesive, such as Elmer's Craft Bond or Scotch Spay Mount ... I was actually planning to do this!!!

thanks!
dvc
Jr Member
Jr Member
Reactions:

Post by dvc »

dvc wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:48 pm RE: Material with Sticky Glue Backing

... would this include (as shown on many video tutorials) masking tape? What about about paper with a light spay of repositionable adhesive, such as Elmer's Craft Bond or Scotch Spay Mount ... I was actually planning to do this!!!

thanks!
Also, to follow up on this ... Plywood has glue between layers. My understanding is it is typically a PVC glue often containing formaldahide. Is cutting that a potential hazard **TO THE LENS** (with or without air assist) also? (obviously we wouldn't want to breathe it!)

I'm specifically asking this question because there are many PLYWOODS sold targeting for use with lasers (diode or other.)

TIA,
dvc
PopPopMoose
Laser Master
Laser Master
Reactions:

Post by PopPopMoose »

This is good information! I am a noob here and a noob with laser etching and cutting. So much to learn. I was engraving/marking adhesive backed cork. I was not cutting it or going deep enough to reach the adhesive but I'm not sure if it's safe to just mark or engrave the cork.
Please call me Moose. I have an Ortur LM3 (20w), with air assist and honeycomb working table. I'm running on Windows 10 and I am learning so much. I have a technical background, and a strong love of people, so feel free to ask me anything.
pflataz
Laser Master
Laser Master
Reactions:

Post by pflataz »

I knew that many materials were dangerous to cut or engrave, but I never found a list, thank you for the info.
My name is Pete
I use Lightburn
My machines are:
Comgro Z1 - 10w
Jinsoku LC-40 - 5.5w
Ender 3 V2 3D printer
3-7 Day Fast Delivery to US from Banggood US Warehouse