*LASER SAFETY WARNINGS*

Discuss all things diode hobby lasers. Project settings, materials, hardware, tips & tricks, etc.
LAHobbyGuy
Laser Yoda
Laser Yoda
Reactions:
Your Specific Hobby: Laser Engraver

Re: *LASER SAFETY WARNINGS*

Post by LAHobbyGuy »

jeffalc wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:43 pm ...What is the difference between laser light and plasma arc or welding arc?
Frequency. Just like there are different glasses for a diode, Co2 & Fiber lasers.

Rich
inspire.. create.. learn.. teach.. help someone today... Subscribe to my YouTube Channel, The Louisiana Hobby Guy!
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME OR EMAIL THE ADMIN! THIS FORUM WAS DESIGNED TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!
➡️ New Here? Main Forums --> Start Here --> Everyone Please Read
Ron463
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by Ron463 »

I ordered the glasses you recommended and they came today. Unfortunately, they don't fit over my glasses. I went back to the product on Amazon's website and read some of the questions posted to the supplier. Among the questions they stated that their glasses do not fit over eyeglasses. I'm wondering if their specs changed since you got yours.

Ron
Ron
Fully Retired since 2009
Main hobby is woodturning. No sales, just gifts for family and friends.
Bought a laser to embellish the items I make.
Laser is Aufero-1 5.5W
jeffalc
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by jeffalc »

richf wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:26 pm
jeffalc wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:43 pm ...What is the difference between laser light and plasma arc or welding arc?
Frequency. Just like there are different glasses for a diode, Co2 & Fiber lasers.

Rich
Thanks Rich, I asked because I have several pair of safety glasses for cutting and plasma that look the same and are about the same darkness/color.
Jeff
Call me Jeff, generic 3018 5W chinese laser,
Looking for a 10W or higher to mount on my MillRight router,
LightBurn software. Just a rookie
LAHobbyGuy
Laser Yoda
Laser Yoda
Reactions:

Post by LAHobbyGuy »

jeffalc wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:02 pm Thanks Rich, I asked because I have several pair of safety glasses for cutting and plasma that look the same and are about the same darkness/color.
Jeff
The glasses should have the frequency printed on the ear supports. If not, they're likely not CE certified for any laser. These are for my Fiber laser:
cerifiedglasses.jpg
Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
inspire.. create.. learn.. teach.. help someone today... Subscribe to my YouTube Channel, The Louisiana Hobby Guy!
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME OR EMAIL THE ADMIN! THIS FORUM WAS DESIGNED TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!
esportosa
Jr Member
Jr Member
Reactions:

Post by esportosa »

Hello. The protective glasses of my Sculpfun s9 that I attach in the photos have ANSI Z87.1 and EN166-F certifications on the sideburns of the glasses. These certifications do not specify anything for laser protection, the information is found here https://safetyprotectionglasses.com/pro ... er-safety/ :( I need to buy some good laser protection glasses. These are like having nothing. Thanks to this forum I am learning a lot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My name is Julian, from Spain, I have Sculpfun model S9, laser diode power 5,5w real. My favorite program for laser cutting, Light Burn. I'm a newbie, I just bought the machine just a week ago. I have this hobby for about 4 months. Never stop learning. :)
LAHobbyGuy
Laser Yoda
Laser Yoda
Reactions:

Post by LAHobbyGuy »

The reason they put the ANSI and EN ratings on there is to have the appearance of compliance. Neither of these are optics ratings and they know it. They won't include compliant glasses because of the cost. These can be had for 50 cents each in China, while compliant 455nm glasses are no less than 20 US dollars there.

Rich
jeffalc
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by jeffalc »

Rich,
Pictured in the lower photo is the difference between the cheapo glasses that came with the machine and the correct ones for the diode laser.

The top picture is the reason I asked the question to start with, the glasses above right, lenses are just for torch cutting (label Z87 W5) but to look through them in natural light you can't tell any difference from the IPL 200-2000 UV400CE lenses.

Pictures sometimes speak louder than words

Jeff
esportosa
Jr Member
Jr Member
Reactions:

Post by esportosa »

Hello, I have the sculpfun S9, it has blue laser, with laser wavelength 455 ± 5 nm, I need to buy glasses that cover my glasses, I think they are wraparound glasses, you with your experience that I could recommend by amazon, thanks in advance
My name is Julian, from Spain, I have Sculpfun model S9, laser diode power 5,5w real. My favorite program for laser cutting, Light Burn. I'm a newbie, I just bought the machine just a week ago. I have this hobby for about 4 months. Never stop learning. :)
jeffalc
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by jeffalc »

esportosa wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:37 pm Hello, I have the sculpfun S9, it has blue laser, with laser wavelength 455 ± 5 nm, I need to buy glasses that cover my glasses, I think they are wraparound glasses, you with your experience that I could recommend by amazon, thanks in advance
Hello, Back on I think Feb 18 Rich gave a link to Amazon for the glasses shown in my post that I use over my glasses. My glasses are not very large and are wire frame, fit very close. I can't promise they will fit over yours. Best I can suggest is to go online and look, if in doubt write the information and ask questions.
Good luck.

Jeff
TelecasterJohnny
Laser Master
Laser Master
Reactions:

Post by TelecasterJohnny »

jeffalc wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:34 pm
esportosa wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:37 pm Hello, I have the sculpfun S9, it has blue laser, with laser wavelength 455 ± 5 nm, I need to buy glasses that cover my glasses, I think they are wraparound glasses, you with your experience that I could recommend by amazon, thanks in advance
Hello, Back on I think Feb 18 Rich gave a link to Amazon for the glasses shown in my post that I use over my glasses. My glasses are not very large and are wire frame, fit very close. I can't promise they will fit over yours. Best I can suggest is to go online and look, if in doubt write the information and ask questions.
Good luck.

Jeff
I suppose I am on the other end of the spectrum; I wear large frames so I cannot get any protective glasses to fit over them. My solution is to wear my normal frames over the laser glasses. Works for me..

"Oh I see what the problem is... it needs more COFFEE!" ;)

------------
Call me John.
aka TelecasterJohnny, aka BurnDaddy
My current equipment includes:
Genmitsu LC-60A upgraded with a Neje A40640 Laser Module
Win 10 with Lightburn software
Sovol SV03 3D Printer
and also have an El Cheapo 3018 Rotary Milling Machine
3-7 Day Fast Delivery to US from Banggood US Warehouse