*LASER SAFETY WARNINGS*

Discuss all things diode hobby lasers. Project settings, materials, hardware, tips & tricks, etc.
misterglas
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Re: *LASER SAFETY WARNINGS*

Post by misterglas »

Hello from Denmark.
I was wondering what is CO2 lasers wavelenght, and do
all CO2 have the same w.l. ?
Are the glasses mentioned from Amazon also to be used with 100+
Watt CO2 beams?
So happy i found this BBS. It is full of info that i enjoy learning and
look forward to use when i feel it is OK for me to start up the Bodor
laser in our community center.

Thank you
Chris
LAHobbyGuy
Laser Yoda
Laser Yoda
Reactions:
Your Specific Hobby: Laser Engraver

Post by LAHobbyGuy »

misterglas wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:55 am Hello from Denmark.
I was wondering what is CO2 lasers wavelenght, and do
all CO2 have the same w.l. ?
The Co2 glasses are 1024nm. You need OD5+ or OD6+ certified glasses like these:
https://amzn.to/3IOgLYm (CE certification # 802809035823 [Celab European Economic Area (EEA])
Real laser eyewear is expensive.
If you don't see a CE stamp visible on the glasses, they are not certified.
...look forward to use when i feel it is OK for me to start up the Bodor
laser in our community center.
Make sure your laser is in a confined area with a safety warning sign at the entrance, such as:
"Danger, Laser in use, special glasses required to enter."
Using a laser in a public area usually has some government restrictions as well. Check with your local government office before doing this. Where I live, it requires a town permit, an air scrubber and specific signage.

Rich
inspire.. create.. learn.. teach.. help someone today... Subscribe to my YouTube Channel, The Louisiana Hobby Guy!
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME OR EMAIL THE ADMIN! THIS FORUM WAS DESIGNED TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!
➡️ New Here? Main Forums --> Start Here --> Everyone Please Read
sonicsloth
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by sonicsloth »

Hi this is great stuff!

Are these glasses good quality?

Cheers Nick
LAHobbyGuy
Laser Yoda
Laser Yoda
Reactions:

Post by LAHobbyGuy »

Free Mascot brand are all certified.

Rich
inspire.. create.. learn.. teach.. help someone today... Subscribe to my YouTube Channel, The Louisiana Hobby Guy!
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME OR EMAIL THE ADMIN! THIS FORUM WAS DESIGNED TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!
dajack2125
Laser Master
Laser Master
Reactions:

Post by dajack2125 »

I would like to build an enclosure for my Atomstack X7pro laser, which is supposed to be a 10 watt laser. I see that Rich has recommended od 3 + acrylic sheet for the viewing window. As technologies and info is always advancing, is this still the recommended acrylic sheet to use? Do the different colors of the sheet play a role in how much light is blocked.

Thanks
David McKee
Atomstack x7pro
Bought my first laser in February 2022
GenerationsCustomCreation
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by GenerationsCustomCreation »

I was trying to find out information via google but get mostly people trying to sell things. I was under the impression that safety eye wear was not needed for CO2 Lasers but Diode Lasers. Is this wrong, sounds like it is. Should I or anyone else watching my laser function be wearing safety glasses? If so, what type?
Rob Sandstrom - Business Name is Generations Custom Creations - hoping to get my daughter and grand children involved in the future - hence Generations Custom Creations. Actually, my daughter came up with the name.

Mostly retired trying to make a few extra dollars while still enjoying what I do. Experienced CNC user but new to lasers. Jumped in with both feet by purchasing a Laguna EX CO2 laser. They advertise it as a 150W laser with a bed of 36"x52". In a steep learning curve at the moment.
LAHobbyGuy
Laser Yoda
Laser Yoda
Reactions:

Post by LAHobbyGuy »

GenerationsCustomCreation wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:21 pm ...Should I or anyone else watching my laser function be wearing safety glasses? If so, what type?
OD 6+ 9000nm-11000nm. Yes, my friend lost the vision in his right eye from a reflection off some metal he was engraving. The Co2 only looks safe because the beam is invisible, however it can reflect off many items, including anomalies in wood. Free Mascot makes the cheapest certified glasses. Here's a link.

Rich
rattletrap1970
Jr Member
Jr Member
Reactions:

Post by rattletrap1970 »

Hey there, great site. I have an Atomstack X7 Could you suggest safety glasses that fit over prescription glasses?
Haz67
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by Haz67 »

Rich,
Thank you for this information, just ordered the correct/ safe glasses
I will be coming back to this page as I get settled into this hobby
Keep on burnin, John
Blue5280
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by Blue5280 »

Rick,
Thank you for all the valuable information, while I haven't used my laser that much, this information has shall we say "opened my eyes" better glasses are on order, and am in the process of building an enclosure for my X-tool D1. After reading all of this safety information, I have switched priorities and have moved the enclosure to the top. New glasses are supposed to get here tomorrow.
My name is Rick, or Nickname is Blue. I am new to lasers, less than a month. I have learned a lot from your you tube posts. I have the X-Tool D1 10W laser.
3-7 Day Fast Delivery to US from Banggood US Warehouse