Travel speed different on X-Y axis

This forum is for all C02 Laser topics
Twmaster
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Travel speed different on X-Y axis

Post by Twmaster »

I don't know if this is a controller issue or a Lightburn issue, mods. please feel free to move if not specific to my CO2 laser.

Monport 100W CO2 laser, Ruida controller. Lightburn (same behavior on 1.3 and 1.4) I'm etching a pattern onto some clear acrylic. Loving the results. However I've noticed when the cutter head is moving between different locations on the job (travel between burns) in the X-axis the machine moves very fast. In the y it's super slow.

What's going on here? Can this be optimized to get the Y travel as fast as X?

Thanks.
Mongo
Lasers: Monport K40, Monport 100W just added a 20W Diode machine. Still wet behind the ears
3D printing: 2 Tiertime Up! Box+, Tiertime UP300. 5+ year veteran.
Traci
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Re: Travel speed different on X-Y axis

Post by Traci »

We're having the same problem. Did you ever figure it out? We could really use some help
cggorman
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by cggorman »

Typically Y moves more slowly (both max rate & acceleration) because the moving mass is MUCH greater. In X, the only thing moving is the head. In Y, the entire gantry moves. The physics of it makes moving the Y as fast as the X considerably more complicated. You need a much stiffer gantry and drivetrain (belts, pulleys, shafts, etc) and much more torque from the motors.

You can edit the machine parameters to speed up the Y, but you very likely wouldn't like the results.
Call me Chris. Always learning.
Ikier K1 Pro (22W), extension kit, cutting bed, & custom air assist
AlgoLaser DIY (5W) w/ Algo air, generic steel honeycomb, & custom drag chains.
Autodesk Inventor, Gimp, & Lightburn on Windows 10.
Twmaster
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by Twmaster »

I have not yet found my answer.

This machine is designed to cut in the speed range of 400mm/s and while cutting it moves very swiftly in both axes. This is not a mass issue. The machine crawls while travelling between cut positions in the Y axis in fill mode.
Mongo
Lasers: Monport K40, Monport 100W just added a 20W Diode machine. Still wet behind the ears
KnightRid
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Reactions:

Post by KnightRid »

I do not have a co2 but on a diode there is a setting in lightburn. I think it is in edit-->device settings-->whitespace scan
Hi my name is Mike and I use a Roly Automation LaserMATIC10 and a Creality Falcon 10w diode laser.
Hobby Forums --> Start Here -- Everyone Please Read
Twmaster
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by Twmaster »

That's a G-Code controller feature. Not applicable to the Ruida. Appreciate the suggestion!

KnightRid wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:25 am I do not have a co2 but on a diode there is a setting in lightburn. I think it is in edit-->device settings-->whitespace scan
Mongo
LAHobbyGuy
Laser Yoda
Laser Yoda
Reactions:
Your Specific Hobby: Laser Engraver

Post by LAHobbyGuy »

This is an issue for those who have changed settings on the Ruida controller, intentional or not. You should have the controller manual on the USB drive.
inspire.. create.. learn.. teach.. help someone today... Subscribe to my YouTube Channel, The Louisiana Hobby Guy!
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME OR EMAIL THE ADMIN! THIS FORUM WAS DESIGNED TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!
➡️ New Here? Main Forums --> Start Here --> Everyone Please Read
Twmaster
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by Twmaster »

Thanks Rich, we had something go goofy on the Ruida in our Monport 100W machine.

So far efforts to get a copy of the config file from Monport has been frustrating. Either they do not understand what I want or are unable/unwilling to help.

I've checked the USB and there is no controller docs I could find. Funny, there are no 100W machine docs at all. 55, 60, 80 and 130W.

LAHobbyGuy wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:16 pm This is an issue for those who have changed settings on the Ruida controller, intentional or not. You should have the controller manual on the USB drive.
Mongo
LAHobbyGuy
Laser Yoda
Laser Yoda
Reactions:
Your Specific Hobby: Laser Engraver

Post by LAHobbyGuy »

The 60-150W are all the same. Unless they have changed it, the Ruida operation should be in the main user manual. Specifically, the reset for the axis controls should be on page 34 or 35 if I remember right.
inspire.. create.. learn.. teach.. help someone today... Subscribe to my YouTube Channel, The Louisiana Hobby Guy!
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME OR EMAIL THE ADMIN! THIS FORUM WAS DESIGNED TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!
➡️ New Here? Main Forums --> Start Here --> Everyone Please Read
3-7 Day Fast Delivery to US from Banggood US Warehouse