Laser Material Horror Story - PVC Edition

Discuss all things diode hobby lasers. Project settings, materials, hardware, tips & tricks, etc.
MacDoktor
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Laser Material Horror Story - PVC Edition

Post by MacDoktor »

What happens when you cut PVC with a 200W CO2 laser? And the ventilation system in the building is...uh... (video cued up to the relevant story) :shock:

He accidentally made phosgene with a laser

So you see kids, it really does happen. 😱

These stories are hilarious and super-cringeworthy. I have this channel on my list now. :ugeek:
MacDoktor, KA4HJHRoly LaserMATIC10 — 27" Late 2013 iMac with macOS 10.14 Mojave — LightBurn :ugeek:

Some of my Diode and HeNe laser collection is on my blog: Laser Stuff. The best of my brief love affair with solar photography is here: Sunspots!
Laserius
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Re: Laser Material Horror Story - PVC Edition

Post by Laserius »

Thanks for the reminder/warning !

I cannot, however, get myself to see it as "Hilarious."

:geek:
MacDoktor
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by MacDoktor »

I've worked a number of jobs, spent time in the lab and have a gallows sense of humor. Some of the stories in these videos are just insane. Stirring Hydrofluoric acid with your fingers? Tasting a specimen to see if it's NaCl? No wonder alchemists had a tendency to die young. :roll:
MacDoktor, KA4HJHRoly LaserMATIC10 — 27" Late 2013 iMac with macOS 10.14 Mojave — LightBurn :ugeek:

Some of my Diode and HeNe laser collection is on my blog: Laser Stuff. The best of my brief love affair with solar photography is here: Sunspots!
cggorman
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by cggorman »

I spent some time in some labs, too.

I still wonder if my repeated bare skin and lung exposure to trichloroethylene will become...something.

I can also say with certainty that strong base chem burns are far worse than strong acid burns.
Call me Chris. Always learning.
Ikier K1 Pro (22W), extension kit, cutting bed, & custom air assist
AlgoLaser DIY (5W) w/ Algo air, generic steel honeycomb, & custom drag chains.
Autodesk Inventor, Gimp, & Lightburn on Windows 10.
Laserius
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by Laserius »

cggorman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:49 pm I spent some time in some labs, too.

I still wonder if my repeated bare skin and lung exposure to trichloroethylene will become...something.

I can also say with certainty that strong base chem burns are far worse than strong acid burns.
According to Wikipædia: "... it was used as a volatile anesthetic and as an inhaled obstetrical analgesic in millions of patients."

:geek:
Wyked
Laserologist
Laserologist
Reactions:

Post by Wyked »

MacDoktor wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:19 pm I've worked a number of jobs, spent time in the lab and have a gallows sense of humor. Some of the stories in these videos are just insane. Stirring Hydrofluoric acid with your fingers? Tasting a specimen to see if it's NaCl? No wonder alchemists had a tendency to die young. :roll:
I worked in a Physics Dept at a uni for several years...walked in and saw a MAJOR safety violation....Walked out and reported it on my way home, Their response was we don't have a better way to do it....I wonder if the Job Safety analysis included how to safely remove Corpses.
Atomstack P7 M40-Dead and Atomstack A5 M50 Pro+ replaced module with M100 (Extension Kit, Air Assist and R3 & Chuck Roller), K40 Co2
Also 3D Printer and CNCs 3018, Foxalien Masuter Pro 4040.
Housed in "The Laser Lair"
Eternal Learner.
3-7 Day Fast Delivery to US from Banggood US Warehouse